Monday, February 2, 2009

in casablanca!

When I got up this morning at 6:00 to go to the gym, I looked out and saw that we were bunkered -- the refueling ship had arrived and looked like it was successfully connecting to the ship. Waters were much calmer and by 10:00 we were on our way. Seas did not stay calm and we had a very rough ride. John and I spent most of the day in our cabin, resting and reading.

Arriving in Casablanca the captain announced that the stablizers would have to be raised in order to come into port, but that there were swells of 5 meters so we could expect some rocking. He advised us to tie down anything that wasn't already. He wasn't kidding. We did survive and are now docked in Casablanca, although no one will leave the ship now until morning.

One of the programs on the ship is "extended family". Some of the students like to have contact with the more adult travellers on a regular basis, and John and I volunteered to be part of this program. The idea is to be in contact during port activities, birthdays, occasional "family" dinners, and so on. We have now been notified that we have an extended family of four students, none of whom we have met. I will be contacting them by e-mail tonight to try to arrange our first meeting. Should be fun!

It is nice to hear from everyone who is responding. I haven't figured out how to respond to you -- maybe just by posting a comment myself, but we have been trying to keep up by e-mail. For those who post -- nothing gets posted until we moderate and post when we log on. So when you save your comment it might not be published for a couple of days, depending on our access to Internet. And for anyone wanting photos -- I will try to sort through and post a group in a day or two.

2 comments:

GirlProf said...

Hi Theresa and John!
Sounds like you are having a great time -- I love the pictures! I look forward to following your travels in the next few weeks and months!
Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa,
I see by your itinerary that you are on the way to Namibia. I'm sure that Casablanca must have been interesting and hopefully memorable (in a good way, of course!) Trust that the seas are calm and that you don't have to "batten down the hatches". We are still enjoying spring like conditions but are expecting snow this afternoon..I'm sure that you're interested in the weather update, ha,ha!! How wonderful that you have volunteered to be extended family for 4 students. They will love having both of you as their family away from home.
I look forward to your continued blogging (I sound so techno savie which as you know, is not the case!). Travel safely.
Love, Jackie